Assam black tea from the Harmutty Estate, graded as STGFOP-S, represents an exceptional tea with a rich, malty flavor, abundant golden tips, and larger, elegant leaves. It offers a taste experience beyond the ordinary, making it a perfect choice for tea connoisseurs or those looking for a distinctive brew.
STGFOP-S stands for Super Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe - Special. This is one of the highest grades in the Indian tea grading system, signifying a tea of exceptional quality.
In this context, each letter and term denotes a particular quality:
- "Super" is an added prefix to denote extraordinary quality.
- "Tippy" refers to the inclusion of abundant tips - the unopened buds of the tea plant, which are highly prized for their rich flavor.
- "Golden" signifies that the tips have a golden hue, a characteristic of high-grade teas.
- "Flowery" suggests the presence of larger leaves and an elegant leaf style.
- "Orange Pekoe" (pronounced 'peck-oh') is a term traditionally used to describe a whole, unbroken leaf. Contrary to common misconception, it does not refer to orange flavor or color.
- "Special" is an infrequent suffix, signifying a tea that goes beyond the standard quality parameters of its grade.
Bring filtered or spring water to 212°F. Add 1 tsp of tea leaves to an 8oz cup. Pour boiling water over the tea leaves and let steep 4 minutes.
- STGFOP-S Full leaf black tea
Harmutty Estate, Assam, India