Premier Japanese matcha and the subtle fruitiness of fresh blueberries yield delicious results! Silky, bright, and versatile, matcha is tea ground to a fine powder from the chlorophyll-rich green leaves of the prize Gyokuro tea leaves blend of is a Samidori cultivar from Uji, Japan. It is a high-grade Spring (first harvest) tea.
Matcha, the focal point of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, is a fine powder made by grinding green tea leaves. Only the finest, young, shade-grown gyokuro tea leaves are used to create matcha. The leaves are plucked and laid out flat to dry. Veins are removed and the leaves, now called tencha, are carefully ground in granite mills until they become the precious powder.
Easy preparation is achieved by placing 1/2 teaspoon of matcha per cup (or to taste) in a cup, adding a few drops of hot water (160-180F) and stirring with a spoon until a paste forms. Add the rest of the water and stir.
Bring filtered or spring water to 170°F. Add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of tea leaves to an 8oz cup. Pour boiling water over the tea leaves and let steep Whisk minutes.
Ceremonial Matcha: Please note that in order to brew Ceremonial Matcha you will need a set of Japanese tea ceremony tools. (Bowls, scoops, and a whisk).
1. Prepare tea bowls by warming them with boiled water.
2. Prepare your Matcha whisk by soaking the tip in the boiled water in one of the bowls for about 10 seconds.
3. Pour the water out and dry the bowl with a paper towel.
4. Using your teaspoon, add 2 scoops of Matcha to each bowl.
5. Pour 1/3 of a cup of your hot water into each bowl.
6. In a slow "m' motion, submerge any loose bits of Matcha that may be floating on the surface of the tea.
7. Whisk the tea more briskly in a back and forth motion until the surface of the Matcha becomes frothy.
8. Consume immediately. (In Japan, it is customary to drink the entire bowl in 3 quick slurps).
Matcha Iced Latte: The drink thatÃ•s taking the west coast by storm!
For this recipe you will need per serving: 1/2 tsp matcha, 2 oz hot water, 3 tsp sugar, 4 oz milk, 8 ice cubes, and 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. Mix the matcha and hot water in a bowl. Stir with a whisk until completely dissolved.
2. Stir in the sugar.
3. Add milk and stir. If you like add vanilla at this step.
4. Add ice and put the mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth. If you donÃ•t have a blender simply drink over the ice.
- Shade grown green tea (Samidori cultivar)
Uji, Kyoto, Japan